Beginning of Main Content
Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario - Leadership Development Pathways
Inequality, Diversity, and Organizations
NOTE: This course is delivered virtually over four weeks and includes 24 hours of learning, approximately four to six hours per week. See schedule of live sessions below. Expect highly interactive live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty, as well as small peer learning groups, online simulations, and self-paced learning journeys.
HOW YOU LEARN
This course is deeply experiential, grounded in case research and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School. Ivey’s real-world case methodology isn’t about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing.
Half of the course will involve self-paced, asynchronous learning, while the other half will consist of faculty-led, live virtual sessions. You will identify specific, practical learning takeaways through deep discussion and simulations, then develop an implementation plan with feedback from other leaders.
Learning methods include:
- Self-paced learning that includes pre-recorded videos, readings and case studies
- Live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty
- Discussion sessions with peers in private forums and guided self-reflection exercises
- Online simulations of realistic challenges in which leaders can test action against immediate feedback in individual or team-based scenarios
- Opportunities to test leadership skills in online simulations, apply concepts in critical decision-making moments and navigate team dynamics – just like in real life
- Peer learning sessions to share experiences, exchange ideas and collaborate to solve challenges with fellow participants in virtual breakout groups during larger sessions
- Demonstrate how knowledge of social structure and its consequences, including the constraints it creates for individuals, can improve individual and organizational decisions
- Introduction to the Bridging-Building-Bonding framework of actions and practices that help overcome the barriers of inequality and increase collective opportunities
- Acquire sensibilities and skills to ”do” equity and inclusion in organizations and society
WHO WILL BENEFIT
This course is suited to both learning pathways. Participants should have at least five years of business experience and is designed for CPAs who are leaders at any level, from Managers to VPs to Executive Directors. The curriculum has relevance and value across entire organizations and encourages open communication and an empathetic culture.
While not required, we often recommend that at least two leaders from one organization attend together. This helps to generate dialogue and maximize learning outcomes for your entire team, not just course participants.
NEED APPROVAL TO ATTEND?
Bob Andersen is Professor of Business, Economics and Public Policy, and Professor of Strategy. He is also cross-appointed in the Departments of Sociology, Political Science, and Statistics and Actuarial Science. His previous selected appointments include Associate Dean (Faculty) at Ivey, Dean of the Faculty of Social Science at Western University, Distinguished Professor of Social Science at the University of Toronto. Much of Bob’s recent research has explored the cross-national relationships between economic conditions, especially income inequality, and attitudes and behaviours important for liberal democracy and a successful business environment, including social trust, tolerance and civic participation. His published research includes Modern Methods for Robust Regression (Sage, 2008), and more than 70 academic papers. Andersen has provided consulting for the United Nations, the European Commission, the Canadian Government and the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada.
Develop a practical and successful negotiation approach that can be applied anywhere, anytime.
The Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario Leadership Development Pathways are a collaboration between CPA Ontario and The Ivey Academy at Ivey Business School to deliver professional leadership development tailored for emerging and established CPAs alike.
Please visit our website for more information on this unique learning experience and how to earn a Certificate in Leadership.