Beginning of Main Content
Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario - Leadership Development Pathways
Strategic Business Negotiations for CPAs
NOTE: This course is delivered virtually over six weeks and includes 24 hours of learning. Expect highly interactive live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty, small peer learning groups, online simulations and self-paced learning journeys.
HOW YOU LEARN
This course is deeply experiential, grounded in case research and facilitated by expert faculty from Ivey Business School.
Ivey’s real-world case methodology isn’t about textbooks and lectures – it’s about learning by doing. You will identify specific, practical learning takeaways through deep discussion and simulations, then develop an implementation plan with feedback from other leaders.
Learning methods include:
- Self-paced learning that includes pre-recorded videos, readings and case studies
- Live sessions led by expert Ivey faculty
- Discussion sessions with peers in private forums and guided self-reflection exercises
- Online simulations using realistic challenges where leaders can test action against immediate feedback in individual or team-based scenarios
- Opportunities to test leadership skills in online simulations, apply concepts in critical decision-making moments and navigate team dynamics – just like in real life
- Peer learning sessions to share experiences, exchange ideas and collaborate to solve challenges in virtual breakout groups during larger sessions
- Experience a variety of different negotiation strategies through realistic negotiation exercises
- Identify opportunities to create value for both negotiating parties
- Receive valuable feedback on your newly acquired negotiation skills in a risk-free environment
- Develop a clear strategy to tackle specific challenges at your organization
WHO WILL BENEFIT
This course is designed for CPAs who are in a new role, seeking a promotion (e.g. Managers, Senior Managers, Directors) or looking to manage a department. They should possess over five years of experience.
While not required, we often recommend that two leaders from one organization attend together to maximize learning outcomes. This helps to generate dialogue and maximize learning outcomes for your entire team, not just course participants.
NEED APPROVAL TO ATTEND?
Fernando Olivera joined Ivey as an Associate Professor in Organizational Behaviour in 1998. He earned a Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Industrial Administration from the Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie Mellon University and a B.Sc. in Electronics Engineering from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, México. Fernando teaches courses in organizational behaviour and interpersonal negotiations in Ivey's MBA, EMBA, Executive Education, and Ph.D. programs. He has conducted negotiation and leadership courses for a variety of organizations, including Bruce Power, the Ontario Public Service, J.D. Irving Ltd., PwC, RSA, RBC, TELUS, New World Development (Hong Kong), Hutchinson Port Holdings (Hong Kong), Manitoulin Transport, and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
Develop a practical and successful negotiation approach that can be applied anywhere, anytime.
The Ivey Academy and CPA Ontario Leadership Development Pathways are a collaboration between CPA Ontario and The Ivey Academy at Ivey Business School to deliver professional leadership development tailored for emerging and established CPAs alike.
Please visit our website for more information on this unique learning experience and how to earn a Certificate in Leadership.